Past Perfect vs Past Perfect Continuous 1
Match the sentences with their functions. The tiles in the right-hand column are sortable. ANSWERS
- I had studied English before I moved to Dublin.
- He was bored because he had been typing for 2 hours.
- By the time he was fifteen, Joe had learnt to cook.
- I'd been driving for 10 hours before I took a break.
- The girl wished she had asked another question.
- John had been trying to telephone his wife all day.
- He asked if I had studied/been studying for the exam.
- action happened before a specific time in the past
- repeated actions that happened in the past
- regret or dissatisfaction with the past
- action happened before something else in the past
- emphasis on the duration of an action in the past
- reported speech
- the cause and effect of something from the past